Friday, February 25, 2011

ich bin ein American

'Well hello again all, my blog post are becoming more frequent because of days off and having the internet. Things have been interesting around here this week, I have had classes canceled due to mid term exams, which means a lot of free time. Next week should be normal. We only have till the end of march though to teach, and then mid terms again, and then a long break. I will use my break chilling out in Nairobi and doing whatever I can for FMP. My highlight of the week is still the dinner we cooked on Tuesday. I will attempt to make salsa tomorrow if possible, they have everything I need to make it but who knows if it will come out the same. My roommate and I have been spending an hour each night hanging out in the boys dorm before they go to bed. It's a lot of fun because the boys are crazy and wild even though they should be in bed soon. Some boys wake up just to hang out. They have been trying to teach me Swahili, but it's not as easy as it sounds. I now tell them “mimi ni simba” which means “I am Lion” in Swahili. I taught them a few words of German and Spanish but it was a no go. It reminds me of kids camp. We show the kids our facebook photos of us and our friends, and it blows their minds. They like the white people. I went on google maps and showed them where we were but from space. We also showed our homes to them on google maps, maybe not the best choice. They like CNN, and like learning about things other then where they live. I might push to teach an intercultural studies class maybe in May, but who knows. A lot of them think London is a country, they only think that because of where Soccer teams go. It is funny to hear them yell at the planes that fly over the school, if it's Emirates, they will yell “Fly Emirates!!!!!!” because thats the slogan that goes on kenya soccer jerseys. We finished the bootleg version of the Expendables yesterday, I laughed when you could see people standing up in front of the screen, just to prove that it was shot in a movie theater in Russia. Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode. I was able to surf the internet like an American yesterday too. I read a few articles on roasting pigs and one on skinning goats. I am preparing to by something big for the kids before I leave, and meat is an awesome thing to by them since they never really get it. A Goat is around $25, so maybe for Easter I could toss in a live goat for dinner. The rule is the person who gives it has to slaughter it. I thought it could be a really nice example for an Easter message. Before I leave though in June, I was thinking a pig might be nice to do, we have the supplies to roast it the Hawaiian way, plenty of pineapple, red onions, garlic etc. I think it can be done. I will have to talk to the cook about it, but knowing him, he would be up for it, he might even throw in his expertise into it and make it the best pig anyone could ever eat. The cooks name is George, and he's one of my favorite people here. He is calm and collected always, but will make me laugh some how when ever I set foot in the kitchen. We just made him a facebook this week. He grew up watching the NBA during the Jordan years, he likes American cartoons and can cook some of the best meals. We like to use really bad swahili around him to make him laugh.

The list of kids I would like to adopt is getting longer everyday. It's hard not to love them. It makes me happy that I won't leave for a while, and I told them the other day in service, that yes I miss America but this is where God wants me, and this is where I want to be. They think my watch is the most interesting thing in the world. But even I think that. I made my first goal in soccer last week in a quick pick up game with a few of the kids. Proud moment, but Lucy says they let me score. I am getting better at it......kinda. the soap opera we watch ended last night, so we have to find something else to do at 8 pm. My dreams lately have been varied and always strange. Last night I had a dream that I was talking to a bunch of my friends about butcher shops but kept getting interupted when trying to talk. The other night I was at a gun show and some protest group proved that you could steal guns easy from gun shows, and I started yelling “those are loaded” but no one responded. I hope the dreams get less weird, I would love that. But till then, yay for American dreams.

Bill and I were tasked with leading the service on wednesday, which was the first one to be done on a wednesday. We had some idea of what we were doing, but it all worked out. i turned to him and said "2 mzungu's lead a service". I felt like it was a youth group wednesday night at cornerstone, but i did not get to do any lame jokes. I love being able to speak here, since i always have at least a few backup sermons ready. i talked about Jonah on wednesday with the kids, my favorite sermon i have ever done. i did it in front of orange lutheran last year, and was more then happy to do it again.

Love you all.
more updates soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment