Saturday, February 19, 2011

whats up week 3

Well hello again. It's officially week 3 here now. Time will go by quicker now that I have a way to talk to the outside world. It was strange going on CNN today to look at what is going on outside of the school. The kids are going through midterms right now so almost all my classes are doing that right now. I was able to video chat with Phil and Sarah this morning, but not using Skype, by using Ichatchurch.com (shameless plug). Though they could not hear me, I heard and saw them clear as day. So things are looking up. The banana pile that was brought Tuesday is slowly becoming smaller and smaller by the hour. I went to sleep at 8 last night because I did not feel well, and did not wake up till 8 this morning. Luckily I did not have any classes to teach. I got awesome news today that my friend Jessie Hamilton is coming to Nairobi in March, so I have an awesome hang out day to look forward to. My roommate is saying that he thinks March will go by quick, but we will see. 2 new goats came into the school yesterday, I think one needs to be eaten cause it's a pain in the butt, but no one agrees with me.....other then the cook. I waiting for my pineapple and my mango to ripen so I may devour them accordingly. It's a good patience tester. I know winter camp is this weekend and I am sad that I cannot be there, but I am excited for what is going to happen up there. My missions beard is coming in nicely, though the high school boys keep saying I should shave, but they can't grow facial hair very easily, I think they are jealous.

So I decided that since this update is not much of an update, I will spruce it up a bit with another travel tip list. This one is regarding top things to bring on a missions trip to Africa.

Africa missions trip packing list.

-study bible-if you are asked to speak, it's always nice to throw in fun biblical tidbits that no one knows.

-mini bible-if your walking a long way just to get to a bible study, don't take the 3 pound study bible, take the mini one and save your arms.

-snacks- you can only eat so much ugali before you reach the breaking point. Load up on nature valley bars, freeze dried food, fruit, and anything that will keep. It will save your life.

-Garlic powder- put this on your dinner and all you taste is garlic, it's a life saver.

-zip ties- zip ties are a cousin of duct tape, it fastens anything to anything as tight as it can go. They are quick, light, and cheap, what's not to like? Best used when putting a tarp back up against a window to keep a swarm of bugs out of your room.

-books- the longer the better, when the power goes out, you will love every page.

-bug repellent- mosquitoes can poke through nets, deny them this by taking a shower in bug repellent.

-Gold bond powder- helps you keep dry, that's all I am saying.

-Swiss army knife- has everything you need and ever will need.......except internet.

-really good flashlight- for finding your way through power outages and for finding hedgehogs in the grass.

-cheap watches- if you take a trip into the market, and don't want to deal with money, trade the watch and get your weight in souvenirs. You can scribble “omega” or “Rolex” on it just to mess with them.

-legal pads-come in handy when writing letters, directions, list or anything else you need. And you look important carrying it around.

-boots- a big black pair makes people think your some Jack Bauer knock-off, which always works in your favor cause no one will want to rob you.

-pack of cheap white t-shirts- neutral, comfortable, easy, and you can toss them out when your done or make it a wash cloth.

-empty plastic bottles- work a t-shirt inside of it, fill it wish water and laundry detergent, and in 30 min you have a clean shirt. Also a must for quick showers, punch some holes in the top and let it rip.

-stuff sacks- usually used for camping, but for traveling, a months worth of clothes goes into one bag and makes it the size of a weekend bag.

-lots and lots of pens-no need to explain.

-a very large first aid kit- when the closest hospital is an hour away with no traffic, become your own doctor. Also needed, military first aid manuals, they are dumbed down for everyone.

-550 cord- it's used in parachutes and used by hikers, climbers, and those preparing for the apocalypse. It's strong, cheap, and can get it in 25' to 50' bundles. Used for strapping mosquito nets down, new shoelaces, or just to play with.

-Bungee cord- quick cloths line, quicker belt. Always nice to have.

-lighter- just cause it's always good to have.

-good, light backpack-hauls everything you want it to.

-clothes pins- needed for laundry, also a cheap clamp.

-cases-if it's important, put it in a case, airlines don't care about your iPod as much as you do.

-fellow Americans- Americans are nice to have cause they speak your language, and that means you have someone to talk to.

That's it for now, I will put more on the next time I have nothing interesting to put.

So long, farewell, Auf Wiedersahn, goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment