Tuesday, March 29, 2011

2 months and endterms

Hey everyone, yesterday was the mark of my 2nd month here, woot woot. the half way mark is not until sunday though. nothing to crazy going on here though. Endterms started for the school though, so today i just sat in classes waiting for kids to get exams done. after this week, we will have vacation till may, sooo kinda excited. i plan on getting missions press stuff done during that time and doing American things in Nairobi. this trip is going by so fast, but I am loving it. i was able to call home yesterday morning which was a nice way to kick off my day. i watched the sun rise which was amazing while talking to my mom and sister.
so since there is not a lot to report on this week, i will make another fun list. this weeks list is called "what i wish i brought with me to Kenya"

i brought a lot of stuff to kenya, but there is even more that i wish i brought.

1. canned food. after eating the same thing everyday for lunch and dinner, you get kind of sick of it. with canned food, i would be able to mix it up a bit with maybe clam chowder, or maybe corned beef hash in a can, or something.

2. more clothes. i put myself into "missions trip mode" when i packed my bag. only so many shirts got to come with me on account of weight and room. i had a vision in my head of having to trek through the jungle carrying the bag to my house. but now that i am here, i kinda wish i had a few more shirts. and maybe another pair of shorts.

3. more 550 cord. i find tons of uses for paracord when i am at home. but here, i can find 10x that. they make good shoelaces, you can use it to hang up a net for sleeping, keep things tied down etc. it's crazy. so more is always good.

4. more zipties. i put before that zipties are the smartest thing you can bring. they still are, but i only had so many. we had a screen that keeps bugs out of our room. well one night, it fell down and we were invaded. i grabbed my zipties and quickly put the screen back on, only to find that i used all of them. rats.

5. headlamp. i destroyed my room before i left looking for my headlamp. i sadly left without it. i felt like andy when he can't find his woody or buzz doll right before he moves away in toy story. and everyday i kick my self more and more for not destroying more. the power goes out a lot, so it would totally come in handy....if i had it.

6. more batteries, i planned on being able to go without a lot of electronics while here, but in reality, my flashlights are my friend, and they need power to live. over kill is under rated.

7. beef jerky. you don't miss it till it's gone, but meat is pricy and hard to find here. jerky though is easy to keep good. i miss the taste of dried beef though. pemmican is where it's at.

8. a bigger mosquito net. the net i have now on my bed is a tight fit. if i move my arm a little bit, i am giving it up to the little buzzing death dealing monsters that wait for little mistakes to find you and attempt to eat you.

9. more books. i brought 3 books: American Buffalo by steven rinella, Bonhoeffer by Eric Metaxes, and under the over pass by some guy i forget. again, to save room and weight, i took out a few books. when i got on the plane, i knew i would finish American Buffalo before i landed. 2 hours before i landed in Nairobi, i read the last page. sad day. since then i have read the book now 5 times, it's a good book, but i have to much time on my hands. Bonhoeffer is being read every other week to savor it. i am half way through. and i am saving under the over pass for the flight home. all i can say is maybe some Jim Harrison or Hemmingway would be nice.

10. more photos. the kids love seeing photos of America. i have one that they like to look at for what seems like forever. a few more would of been nice.


my uncle John gave me the basics of packing for hiking trips. i used every little bit of knowledge that i could for packing for this trip. the pack was under weight, and i have everything i need. but man, 4 months is a long time to go without some things. sacrifice right?

well that's all for now. toodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment